Problem with OpenSSH =>3.7p1 on Linux \w Linux-PAM 0.77

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Mon Oct 6 01:13:36 EST 2003

Pauli Borodulin wrote:
> Hmm, I'm pretty sure I tried that already. Lemme see -- yes, didn't
> help. 3.6.1p2 seems to require PasswordAuthentication to be enabled,
> otherwise I'm not able to log in (even using PAM).

I assume that version was a typo since your original message had
"=>3.7p1"?

For 3.7x you should have:
UsePAM no
PasswordAuthentication yes
ChallengeResponseAuthentication no

or

UsePAM yes
PasswordAuthentication no
ChallengeResponseAuthentication yes

Check the server-side debug in either of those configs.

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.