Problem with OpenSSH =>3.7p1 on Linux \w Linux-PAM 0.77

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Mon Oct 6 14:37:13 EST 2003

Pauli Borodulin wrote:
> Nope. 3.6.1p2 is working ok. I just tried what happens if I try
> disabling PasswordAuthentication in it. Didn't do any good, as I told, I
> wasn't able to log in anymore after disabling it. :-)

For 3.6x, PAM = PasswordAuthentication
For 3.7x, PAM = ChallengeResponseAuthentication

> Okay, after checking PuTTY's default settings I found out that (for some
> odd reason) the version I was using had default setting of trying to
> prefer SSH1 over SSH2, so all connections were done in SSH1.

For PuTTY + SSHv1 you need to enable "TIS or CryptoCard Authentication".

[snip]
> but =>3.7p1 outputs:
>
> debug1: kbdint_alloc: devices 'pam'
> debug1: auth2_challenge_start: trying authentication method 'pam'
> PAM: Authentication failure

Does the system log (eg /var/log/messages or /var/log/authlog) say
anything about the PAM authentication at this point?

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.