openssh3.7.1p2 + krb5 round-robin dns issue

Robert Williams rjwill at cis.upenn.edu
Sat Oct 25 03:03:18 EST 2003

Hello All,

I've encountered a problem with OpenSSH_3.7.1p2 and krb5 authentication
that I did not have using previous OpenSSH versions and krb5.

I have a group of machines that are all listed as addresses for
hostname.domain.blah via round-robin dns. When attempting to ssh to
hostname.here.blah using krb5 auth, I get the following error:

(client side)
debug1: Authentications that can continue: publickey,gssapi,password,hostbased
debug1: Next authentication method: gssapi
debug1: Miscellaneous failure
Generic error (see e-text)

I don't see anything useful in the daemon logs.

ssh w/krb5 works fine if ssh'ind to all of these machines using their
FQDN, but does not work using the round-robin dns hostname.

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem?

Thanks,

 ~ Bob