setlogin failed: Function not implemented

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Mon Oct 27 13:21:48 EST 2003

Eivind Magnus Hvidevold wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 10:10:11AM +1100, Darren Tucker wrote:
> > Eivind, please try this patch.  You'll need to run "autoreconf" after
> > applying it, then run "./configure && make".
> >
> > If this works out I might look at doing the same thing for setresuid and
> > setresgid since they have the same problem on some Linuxes.
>
> Your patch works perfectly. Thanks!
> But I think something may have gone wrong when I compiled glibc, because
> /usr/include/gnu/stubs.h was empty. I tried replacing it with one from
> Mandrake (9.2rc1) and then setlogin was detected as non-implemented even
> without your patch. I'm using glibc-2.3.1, btw.

Hmm, so are we talking about a problem that occurs in some configurations
of glibc, or something specific to your installation (or possibly just
that particular build?)

In the former case, I think it's still worth fixing, in the latter cases,
probably not.

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.