Privilege separation

Ben Lindstrom mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org
Thu Oct 30 05:40:50 EST 2003

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003, Dan Yefimov wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Oct 2003, Christopher Linn wrote:
>
> > > 2all: Is there at least one maintainer around in the list that would simply
> > > apply that simple patch without such unreasonable resistance? Up to the moment I
> > > heard no proved criticism against that patch.
> >
> > with all due respect, i belive the resistance is not "unreasonable,"
> > but rather your insistance is unreasonable.  a patch should prove
> > itself worthy, rather than be applied unless proved unworthy.
> > personally i think you have failed to prove that.  (but then,
> > i'm no develpoper.)
> >
> IOW, you believe the freedom of choice isn't worth, don't you?

You do have a freedom of choice.  Your patch was declined, but you are
free to setup a sourceforge project or some other place to praise and
glorify your patch.  If not outright create a fork.

By us not accepting it does not limit *YOUR* choice.

We have to code around this crap daily.  You don't.  So I don't see why
you are getting upset that we refuse to dirty our code just to make you
happy with a "feature" that is in our minds a bad thing.

I think we are at the end of this thread.  Is Markus says No.. and a few
other of the core/portable team says no.. the answer is a resounding no.

- Ben