connecting to a virtual host: host key mismatch

Ulrich Windl Ulrich.Windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de
Thu Sep 11 17:50:46 EST 2003

Hello,

I have a kind of problem: I need to connect to a virtual host (a f "floating"
IP address) that is one of two physical hosts in a HA environment. Yesterday
the virtual IP address was moved to another host.

Today ssh refuses to connect, because the host key is different. Reading the
documentation I found that there is no command line option (documented) to
temporarily bypass "StrictHostKeyChecking", and it seems to be impossible to
specify multiple alternative hostkeys for a virtual host in "knows_hosts" (it
would make sense however IMHO).

Using the same host keys for both machines is not what I would like to do
(assuming it would help), and I don't want to disable "StrictHostKeyChecking"
globally.

So what's the (or a good) solution?

Regards,
Ulrich