Pending OpenSSH release, call for testing.

Matthew Clarke clamat at telus.net
Mon Aug 16 14:12:38 EST 2004

dimanche, le 15 août, 2004, Jason McCormick nous a dit ceci:

> > > run test yes-head.sh ...
> > > head: -2000' option is obsolete; use -n 2000'
> >
> > That is just silly, did GNU deliberately break their head?
>
> GNU's coreutils is trying to comply with POSIX 1003.1-2001 compliant.
> Supposedly the standard doesn't allow this.  Here's the blurb from the
> info page:
>
>      On older systems, head supports an obsolete option -countoptions,
>      which is recognized only if it is specified first. count is a
>      decimal number optionally followed by a size letter (b, k, m) as in
>      -c, or l to mean count by lines, or other option letters (cqv).
>      POSIX 1003.1-2001 (see Standards conformance) does not allow this;
>      use -c count or -n count instead.
>
> The "see Standards conformance" references:
> http://www.tug.org/texinfohtml/coreutils.html#Standards-conformance
>
> I'll file a patch to use -n

Most configure scripts need "sed"; you can always reduce the number of
external dependencies and side-step this issue by going farther back in
time and using:

	foo | sed '2000q'

instead of:

	foo | head -n 2000

Heh.  This would even work on my AIX 2.2 boxes that don't have a "head"
command.  (Not that OpenSSH runs on those anyway, for lots of other
reasons.)

Matt.
relations, for nature cannot be fooled.
				-- Richard P. Feynman