Problems compiling OpenSSH [no version info] on HP-UX 10.20 was: (no subject)

Loomis, Rip GILBERT.R.LOOMIS at saic.com
Wed Aug 18 08:19:57 EST 2004

Aloha Jiwen (I used to get kama'aina discounts, but
no longer)--

First, you didn't tell us what OpenSSH source code
version you're trying to compile.  Without that info
there are any number of possible problems--so I'll
assume (for now) that you're using the latest
released portable version of OpenSSH.  Please
reply with specific version info.

The fact that things are blowing up during the
configure script tells me that you may have a problem
that has more to do with the shell interpreter than
with the compiler--if you've got a working compiler,
you might have some luck just by compiling and
installing a recent bash(1) or your favorite flavor
of shell.  Nevertheless:

If you're installing an almost brand new version of
GCC on a very old version of HP-UX--are you sure that
the compiler works properly?  Have you tried other
reasonable tests, like using GCC to compile itself
natively?  And (since this has been a problem for me
before with weird error messages) did you compile
all the necessary support libraries yourself?  (Things
like OpenSSL and zlib)?  If not, then where did you
get those support libraries?

Going back to the configure script issue and probable
causes: The specific problem you're seeing isn't one
I've seen before, but I've compiled OpenSSH on HP-UX
10.20 before and had no issues (well, apart from the
fact that IIRC there were issues with translating
hostnames and IPs into things useful to log...or was
that an antiquated IRIX version?).  I'll take a look
tomorrow and see if I've still got a useful HP-UX 10.20
compile host and what GCC version it has installed, and
then try to compile latest OpenSSH (and the pre-release
version that we've all been asked to try.)

Overall, though, I'm betting on a non-fun interaction
between really-really-old Bourne shell implementations,
recent configure scripts, and general HP-UX oddities.

  --Rip

--
Rip Loomis, CISSP    //   SAIC Enterprise Security Solutions
Brainbench MVP for Internet Security      www.brainbench.com