ssh graphics forwarding compression with NX ?

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Thu Dec 2 23:31:32 EST 2004

Damien Miller wrote:
> Joshua Jensen wrote:
>
>>Hmmm, I just had a thought.  Perhaps not an original one, but could
>>ssh's compression of data be made to use the open source NX algorithms?
>>This could really help remote graphics over the network.
[...]
> OTOH If NX can act as a proxy, then it probably already works :)

I seems that it is:
http://www.nomachine.com/documentation/NX-XProtocolCompression.php
"NX implements a client-server protocol between X agent and proxy to
ensure that the narrow-band link between the proxy..."

For an example of how to stack sshd X forwarding with a proxy and get
xauth right, see this script (which uses the low-bandwidth X proxy,
lbxproxy): http://www.zip.com.au/~dtucker/openssh/lbx.sh

(remember to source the script with ". ./lbx.sh")

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.