Bug Report

Kantor, Harry S CIV NAVSURFWARCEN CSS, 376 / 110E harry.kantor at navy.mil
Fri Dec 3 01:10:16 EST 2004

To Whom It May Concern:

I am running OpenSSH_3.7.1p2 on an HPUX 10.10 operating system.  I recently converted my OS to a trusted system, which, among other things, shadows passwords in the /etc/passwd file.  In order to shadow the user passwords, a '*' character is used.  Unfortunately, the documentation for sshd states that, for HP operating systems, a '*' character in the /etc/passwd file is a sign that the user's account is locked out of ssh logins.

In order to verify this, I shutdown my sshd, re-started it with the following command:
"sshd -ddd -e"
and perused the debugging info.  Once I attempted to make an ssh connection from a remote system, a message stating that the user's account was locked came up.

I hope that I have adequately described the situation.  If you have any questions, need any clarification, or can tell me what I am doing wrong, please reply to this e-mail.

Thank you in advance,
Harry Kantor
Computer Engineer
NSWC PC