dangerous behaviour of scp

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Thu Dec 9 13:33:09 EST 2004

John Davidorff Pell wrote:
> Is scp ever sync'd with any updated, improved, bug-fixed rcp tree? I
> know that some that the version of rcp included with Mac OS X is a
> little diff, which I assume comes from freeBSD. Is it ever updated, or
> is it one of those things that you just really want to leave alone and
> never touch?

OpenSSH's scp is based on OpenBSD's rcp.  Typically any fixes get
applied to both.

> Keeping scp almost identical to rcp is all well and good, but which
> version of rcp? What about actual not-functionality-changing-bug-fixes?

BTW I think the fairest criticism is that it behaves differently for
local vs remote copies (see below).

Anyway, it turns out that due to some work by Markus earlier this year,
scp already knows if the destination should be a directory, so it's easy
to fix, see attached patch.

Without patch:
$ touch a b
$ echo test >c
$ scp a b localhost:c
scp: c: Not a directory
$ scp -v a b c
Executing: exec cp a c
Executing: exec cp b c
$ ls -l c
-rw-rw-r--    1 dtucker  dtucker         0 Dec  9 12:54 c

With patch:
$ scp -v a b c
scp: c: Not a directory

--