[OpenAFS-devel] Re: OpenSSH, OpenAFS, Heimdal Kerberos and MIT Kerberos

Dean Anderson dean at av8.com
Tue Feb 3 07:16:59 EST 2004

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004, Stephen Smoogen wrote:

> While you may be from Missouri, you will either have to take their word
> for it.. or go off and test it yourself. Get the older versions of ssh
> onto a machine, and get one of the ssh-xploits from a hacker site. Turn
> on privsep... watch it segfault and exit. Turn off privsep.. get root.

This doesn't mean the privsep prevented an exploit. If it segfaulted, a
little more fuzzing can get shell code to run.  After that, you have at
least non-root access, and you have sockets to the privsep processes that
have root privilege.

We know how to escalate non-root processes to root.

So, the privsep didn't protect anything.

		--Dean