OpenSSH -> PAM -> Password Prompt

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Sat Feb 7 08:34:44 EST 2004

guyverdh at mchsi.com wrote:
> I have been looking forward to the full PAM integration into OpenSSH for some
> time.  I have been downloading many of the SNAP shots and testing them out on
> Solaris 5.8 and Solaris 5.9, and have been impressed with the improvements of late.

I'm glad that things are improving for you.

> One thing that I have noticed, however, is that when utilizing PAM ->
> UsePAM=Yes, that the password prompt reads
>
> Password:

That prompt is generated by PAM, sshd just sends it for display.  If the
prompt isn't how you like it then you need to arrange for PAM to send a
different one.

> Now, I realize that this is more a PAM functionality, than anything to do with
> OpenSSH, however, I was curious to know whether or not something could be done
> to make PAM's password prompt read more like the known and liked OpenSSH
> password prompt
>
> User at System's Password:

Nope, sorry.  sshd isn't going to arbitarily change the prompts provided
by PAM.  You're welcome to patch your own sshd if you want it badly
enough, though.

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.