OpenSSH 3.7.1p2 linked libs

Ben Lindstrom mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org
Mon Feb 16 04:16:23 EST 2004

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004, Georg Schwarz wrote:

> > > The linker should ignore unnecessary dependancies, shouldn't it?
> >
> > It doesn't (on Linux anyway, I suspect it's the same on other systems).
>
> it doesn't on IRIX 5.3 either
>
> > That said, it's already tricky to get the library path and link order
> > right on all supported configurations, and I would not like to see it
> > made harder by maintaing different ones for different binaries.
>
> in this particular case I guess it should not be that hard. Have -lgen
> not added to LIBS by configure but, say, to LIBGEN. LIBGEN is then either
> -lgen or empty. Have LIBGEN added to the sshd link line only (assuming
> this is the only place where you use basename, dirname; from my tests it
> is).

I think the point is if one is going to do this type of games.  You should
do it correct or not at all.  And we decided not to play the game at all
due to the diverse platform base.

> Similarly for, say, LIBCRYPTO, which you add everywhehe ehere LIBS already
> is except for the scp link line. That way you gain a finer granularity
> for selecting which libs to actually use.

Umm.. Look back in the email archives about -lcrypto and -lcrypt combo
and their bad interaction on some platforms.  Anytime anyone suggests
making changes near this part of the configuration scripts they are
require to provide a written certified in thier own blood that it will not
break any platforms. =)

> > Georg, does this cause an actual problem?  libgen is part of the base
>
> well, things run nonetheless, but of course it is not optimum. libgen
> is part of the OS, libcrypto is not. In any case we get unnecessary
> dynamic library dependencies. I guess this will at least make binary
> startup a bit slower and could add to overall runtime memory consumption.

Not sure why "libcrypto is not" is an issue.  scp won't work without ssh
which requires libcrypto.

We have proof on dramatic memory usage or speed degrade?  I suspect
they will be miminal for anything within the last five or so years due to
lazy loading.

- Ben