AIX reboot problem after SSH is installed

Jan-Frode Myklebust janfrode at parallab.uib.no
Mon Feb 23 00:32:30 EST 2004

On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 12:22:26PM -0500, LAM, FELIX wrote:

> I've installed OpenSSH 3.7.1 on AIX.  After I've installed it, when I
> try to reboot the machine using shutdown -Fr command remotely, it
> doesn't reboot at all, and it hangs.

I think I've seen this also.. What I do is to ssh as root into the
box, then manually start bash as the shell. If I do 'shutdown -Fr'
from within bash, the shutdown doesn't complete. If I exit bash, and
start the shutdown from roots default korn shell, the shutdown works
fine.

So, my guess has been that shutdown kills bash and that that somehow
blocks/signals shutdown.

Maybe your problem is something similar?

BTW: AIX 5.2 ml1 and AIX 5.1 ml5.

   -jf