IPv6 broken under AIX?

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Fri Jan 9 18:58:28 EST 2004

Anders Liljegren wrote:
> I've tried to get OpenSSH_3.7.1p2 to work over IPv6 under AIX 5.1.0 and
> 5.2.0 without success. If I configure sshd to listen to an IPv6 address
> it will take the uppermost 32 bits of the IPv6 address and interpret it
> as an IPv4 address.

Currently configure will define BROKEN_GETADDRINFO (see config.h) for
all AIX versions, which will cause the built-in getaddrinfo-family
replacement functions to be used.  Those support IPv4 only.

Attempting to use AIX's functions will cause sshd to not work at all:

debug1: private host key: #2 type 2 DSA
getnameinfo failed
getnameinfo failed
Cannot bind any address.

Adding some code to print an error for the failure gives:
getnameinfo failed: Invalid argument
getnameinfo failed: Invalid argument

I don't know why AIX's getnameinfo doesn't work.  I did a quick search
of the AIX APARs last time I looked at this but didn't turn up anything.

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.