IPv6 broken under AIX?

Pontus Skoeld pont_openssh at soua.net
Sat Jan 10 00:36:55 EST 2004

Darren Tucker <dtucker at zip.com.au> writes:

>> I've tried to get OpenSSH_3.7.1p2 to work over IPv6 under AIX 5.1.0
>> and 5.2.0 without success. If I configure sshd to listen to an IPv6
>> address it will take the uppermost 32 bits of the IPv6 address and
>> interpret it as an IPv4 address.
>
> Currently configure will define BROKEN_GETADDRINFO (see config.h) for
> all AIX versions, which will cause the built-in getaddrinfo-family
> replacement functions to be used.  Those support IPv4 only.
>
> Attempting to use AIX's functions will cause sshd to not work at all:
>
> debug1: private host key: #2 type 2 DSA
> getnameinfo failed
> getnameinfo failed
> Cannot bind any address.
>
> Adding some code to print an error for the failure gives:
> getnameinfo failed: Invalid argument
> getnameinfo failed: Invalid argument
>
> I don't know why AIX's getnameinfo doesn't work.  I did a quick search
> of the AIX APARs last time I looked at this but didn't turn up
> anything.

I've now looked into this and it seems this is an error that occurs
when one passes NULL as the nodename to getaddrinfo, which will cause
it to return a faulty struct sockaddr (this happens if there are no
ListenAddress-directives in the configuration).

[I'll try to figure out how to report this to IBM.]

Apart from that, there seems to be no more problems with using the
systems getaddrinfo (meaning everything seems fine as long as I
specify some ListenAddress, including 0.0.0.0 or ::). I'll continue
testing.

If there's no more problem than this, I think a wrapper or some other
workaround that allows the use of v6 to be rather desirable.

cheers

	/Pontus

(I've tested using getaddrinfo on 5.1ML5, 5.1ML1, 4.3.3ML10 and
5.2ML2)

--

Pontus Sköld, see <URL:http://soua.net/> for more information.