What is print_pam_messages() used for ?

Ralf Hack ralf.hack at pipex.net
Fri Jan 16 11:52:55 EST 2004

Darren,

Thanks for looking into this.

>NEW_AUTHTOK_REQD should be fixed in -current for SSHv2
>keyboard-interactive authentication (it works for me on my test
>platforms, but you may not get all of the messages on Solaris or
>HP-UX yet).

It did work fine for me (using pam_ldap on freebsd 4.7 -- mind, with
a customised libc since nsswitch isn't implemented on 4.7). I just
never got the messages associated, such as 'You are required to
change your password immediately.'

>print_pam_messages had been more or less superceded by the generic
>Buffer loginmsg.  There's still a couple more loginmsg changes I
>hope to make, after which print_pam_messages() should be gone
>altogether.
>
>>     By any chance, is someone working on a patch to show these
>>warning messages ?

I figured that you do something smart there, hence my query.

>There have been changes since 3.7.1p2 to allow the display of
>messages from session modules, and the remaining messages after
>challenge-response authentication.  I'm not sure if those will
>include your messages from pam_ldap, but if you haven't already,
>please try a recent snapshot.
>(ftp://ftp.ca.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/OpenSSH/portable/snapshot/)

I will try it. However, the messages are created in
do_pam_account()->pam_acct_mgmt(). Unlike other parts, this one does
not have a conversation function installed. Therefore, I doubt that
you will receive these messages in the first place.

I also noticed that I couldn't convince you yet that HAVE_SETPCRED
and USE_PAM are mutually exclusive in session.c:do_setusercontext().
On the danger that you won't trust my bug reports for the rest of my
life, this is true. The #ifdefs are staggered so that USE_PAM is
_only_ in the #else branch of HAVE_SETPCRED. I spiced to code with
#errors to proof it to myself.

Ralf.