unexpected problem

Bob Proulx bob at proulx.com
Sun Jun 27 03:34:01 EST 2004

Bachman Kharazmi wrote:
> I've had a dedicated box running for ages in my LAN without any kind of
> problems. Ssh has been installed and useable till tomorrow when a problem
> pop up.
> [...]
> debug1: Local version string SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_3.8p1
> debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT sent
> Read from socket failed: Connection reset by peer

Do you have netcat available?  Usually installed as either 'nc' or
'netcat' depending upon the distro.  (Red Hat installs it as 'nc',
SuSE installs it as 'netcat', Debian installs it as 'nc' with a
symlink 'netcat' for compatibility.)  Use control-C to break out of
the command after it has given the banner string.

  nc localhost 22
  SSH-1.99-OpenSSH_3.8.1p1 Debian 1:3.8.1p1-4

What does it say when talking to your remote box?  I imagine at that
point it would say the same error message that ssh is giving.  That
would indicate to me that your box is in a bad state and would need
more serious attention such as a power cycle to reboot the it.  If you
can't talk to it on the network then there is nothing that ssh can do
further.

Bob