-R port:host:hostport - communication lost after some minutes

Flavien flavien at lebarbe.net
Fri Mar 5 00:30:36 EST 2004

Hello,

Hans Shou wrote :
> The user
> (joe) at the computer then connect to my server with the command:
>   ssh -R 1234:localhost:22 test.com
>
> Then I login to test.com and connect back to joes computer:
>   ssh -p 1234 localhost
>
> I get  successfull  connection  every  time  but  after  a  few
> minutes, typing some simple  commands  the  communication  just
> stops and I can type nothing. The only thing I can do is to ask
> joe to establish a new connection.

I'm interested in tips to debug that kind of  problem  too.  I've
already  been  in  exactly  the  same   configuration   (ssh   -R
1234:localhost:22 and then ssh -p 1234) to bypass NAT,  and  I've
also had problems with it hanging up and me having to  ask  "joe"
to connect again. I must add that in my particular situation, joe
connected to "test.com" through "a lot"  (at least 3) of internal
networks / firewalls / NAT... And that probably is  the  root  of
the problem.

Flavien.