3.8p1 password expiry, Solaris 8

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Fri Mar 19 11:47:15 EST 2004

Kevin Mack wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 11:12:58AM +1100, Darren Tucker wrote:
>>Do you need password expiry for non-password authentications?
>
> Umm, strictly speaking, no. We use both public-key and password
> authentications and find it more convenient to have password
> expiry on all accounts, and easier to lock them with 'passwd -l'.

Since about 3.7p1, sshd will honour "passwd -l" locking of accounts for
any auth method as long as UsePAM=no.  (When UsePAM=yes, those checks
are delegated to PAM, and I believe its behaviour depends on which
Solaris patches you have installed).

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.