X-Forwarding freezes keyboard on ThinClient Vortex86

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Thu May 27 19:22:05 EST 2004

Jordi Sanfeliu wrote:

> To test this new Thin Client almost nothing was changed in the LTSP
> configuration, just the MAC address and the video configuration and
> resolution. The problem arises when unexpectedly the X-Forwarding
> feature hang the keyboard after 3 or 4 key-clicks. The mouse continues
> working (well at least it moves), but the keyboard does not respond,
> keyboard-leds are dead and the display freezed.

That sounds like a hardware (or low-level OS problem).

> If I remove the line "ssh -X user at linuxserver ....." and (manually)
> executes from the Linux server the OpenOffice program with the DISPLAY
> variable containing the Thin Client IP address (that is not using
> X-Forwarding nor OpenSSH at all), it works fine!!!.

Perhaps the extra load caused by the crypto pushes borderline hardware
over the edge, or possibly uncovers some kind of race in the OS?

Try running something to suck up all the CPU and see if your problems
happen without ssh (I suggest "openssl aes-128-cbc -in /dev/zero -out
/dev/null" with a bogus password).

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.