X-Forwarding freezes keyboard on ThinClient Vortex86

Jordi Sanfeliu Jordi.Sanfeliu at fibranet.com
Thu May 27 23:33:22 EST 2004

Darren Tucker wrote:

> That sounds like a hardware (or low-level OS problem).

Maybe, but the linux kernel 2.4.24, XFree86 4.3.99 (4.4.0RC1) and all the other
utilities does not report any problem.

> Perhaps the extra load caused by the crypto pushes borderline hardware
> over the edge, or possibly uncovers some kind of race in the OS?
>
> Try running something to suck up all the CPU and see if your problems
> happen without ssh (I suggest "openssl aes-128-cbc -in /dev/zero -out
> /dev/null" with a bogus password).

Tried. I have downloaded from openssl.org its last version (0.9.7d) and
compiled. Then it has been executed _during 3 hours_ on such hardware (Thin
Client with Vortex86), using your suggestion reproduced above.

Result. All works fine. After 3 hours I have pressed CTRL-C in order to stop the
execution and the keyboard responds well as expected. No hardware freeze or
keyboard hang.

We will need to search the source of problem in other direction.

I will try to disable the Compression during the X-Forwarding process ...

--
Jordi Sanfeliu
FIBRANET Network Services Provider