Any plans implement MaxAuthTriesLog?

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Tue Nov 16 13:59:58 EST 2004

Richard Dickens wrote:
> When a user gets their password wrong more than MaxAuthTries times why
> isn't the message "Too many authentication failures for %.100s" written
> to syslog? The user seems to get it (in a dialog in putty) but it
> doesn't get logged. The usual "Failed password for..." messages are
> logged.

AFAIK vanilla OpenSSH has never logged those (it only sends it to the
user via packet_disconnect).  Maybe it should log too?  And if so, maybe
it should log some more info?  Anyway, try this patch.

OpenSSH does the equivalent of MaxAuthTriesLog at MaxAuthTries/2.  I
suspect the behaviour you're describing is not directly related to
MaxAuthTriesLog.

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.