OpenSSH password expiration

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Sat Oct 23 12:18:36 EST 2004

ssing at amkor.com wrote:
> Hi Darren, we are running 3.9p1 and 3.8.1p1 on Solaris 7 and Solaris 8
> systems, respectively.  I recently tested it again and could not get it to
> work.  I cleared my password in NIS+ and when I tried to ssh into our NIS+
> master server (hexadecimal), it will not give me an option to choose new
> password (see below).  However, when I use telnet, I was able to change my
> password.  Is there some special PAM or OpenSSH configuration that I need
> to use?

That should work, so there's a problem somewhere.

Do you have PAM enabled?  (./configure --with-pam and "UsePAM yes" in
your sshd_config).  If not then you'll probably need to enable it.

(It ought to work without UsePAM too, but I don't know how NIS+ will
interact with the shadow password expiry routines).

Please send a server side debug (eg "/path/to/sshd -ddde -p 2022" and
connect with "ssh -p 2022 yourserver") for 3.9p1.

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.