problem to keep X11 forwarding

Rudi van Houten R.vanHouten at math.uu.nl
Fri Sep 10 19:06:55 EST 2004

Dear people,

since openssh-3.8.1p1 I experience problems with the automatic
X11 forwarding. I installed openssh-3.9p1 yesterday hoping the
problems should disappear, but alas no.
It looks like the X11 autorization times out after some time,
I don't know exactly but after half an hour it surely is gone.
When I installed openssh-3.8.1p1 I also had opgraded openssl
from 0.9.7c to 0.9.7d then, but I think that the X11 forwarding
problem has to do with openssh.

On a SUn Blade-150 with Solaris-8 using CDE I open some windows
with openssh sessions to several other hosts. That works fine
and I can use X11 applications that nicely display on my Blade-150.
But of course I don't use all the windows all the time and when
I have worked some time in one window and then come back to a
window left over some time the attempt to start an X application
fails:

zielknijper 234# xclock
Xlib: connection to "localhost:12.0" refused by server
Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
Error: Can't open display: localhost:12.0
zielknijper 235#

I hope somebody can show me the direction I have to look to
solve this problem. Thanks beforehand.

I compiled on solaris-8 with Sun Workshop-5 cc using the command below
to configure (broken in lines for readability):
env CC=cc CFLAGS=-O LDFLAGS="-s -L/local/lib -L/usr/local/lib"
 CPPFLAGS="-I/local/include -I/usr/local/include"
 ../configure --prefix=/local/openssh-3.9p1 --sysconfdir=/local/etc/openssh
 --with-ssl-dir=/local/openssl-0.9.7d --with-pam
 --with-skey=/usr/local/skey-1.1.5 --with-tcp-wrappers --with-pid-dir=/var/run
 --with-xauth=/usr/openwin/bin/xauth --with-lastlog=/var/adm/lastlog
 --with-default-path=/local/bin:/usr/local/bin:/opt/bin:/usr/bin:.

With regards
--
Rudi van Houten	- Department of Mathematics Utrecht University
    Automatiseringsteam / System Management