Replacing WinInet functions with OpenSSH API Calls

Damien Miller djm at mindrot.org
Tue Aug 30 21:59:48 EST 2005

Welch, Larry wrote:
> All,
>
> I'm working with a solution which makes use of the WinINet API  (FTP
> functions) to FTP files from a Windows 2K client to a AIX server.  While
> this works fine, my current client wants me to use Secure FTP.  They are
> running OpenSSH 3.71p, and the requirements are to not change the server
> side daemon, and only change my client calls.

OpenSSH doesn't presently offer a library-style API. We would like to do
one, but is is not likely to happen soon (if ever) because it is a lot
of work.

On the other hand, you can run ssh at the end of a pipe and use it as a
transport by making reads and writes to/from the pipe. This is what scp,
sftp, cvs, rsync and a heap of other programs do.

Alternately, the sftp program supports batchfiles to automate transfers.
If you set up public key authentication, then you can use these to do
your work - your program could just write a batch file, run sftp and
check that it was successful.

-d