Replacing WinInet functions with OpenSSH API Calls

Damien Miller djm at mindrot.org
Tue Aug 30 22:15:25 EST 2005

Welch, Larry wrote:
> Thank you Damien.
>
> Do you know of any commercial products which could provide me the APIs
> which talk to the OpenSSH back end?

I'm not really familiar with the commerical SSH products (the free ones
do everthing I need). There are free Perl and Python SSH implementations
that might help you and there is libssh2[1] which appears to be a C API.
(I haven't tried any of these.)

> My last resort would be to manage
> the file transfer through my program, and I'm a bit concerned about
> calling out because there will be hundreds of calls in a single
> iteration of my program.

If you are making lots of calls, then you could maintain a persistant
ssh connection and fire off transfers using the connection sharing
facilities. That way each transfer does not incur the cost of a key
exchange. See the ControlPath and ControlMaster options in "man
ssh_config" for more info.

-d

[1] http://www.libssh2.org/