OpenSSH traffic accounting ...

Chris Lightfoot chris at ex-parrot.com
Wed Dec 21 06:40:04 EST 2005

On Mon, Dec 19, 2005 at 03:34:05PM +0100, Miro Dietiker, MD Systems wrote:
> There exist patches for OpenSSH that allow it to perform per user
> traffic
> accounting.
>
> Further, new releases increasingly are being met with the "it still
> doesn't do per user traffic accounting ?" comment.
>
> ( http://it.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=161168&cid=13488466 )
>
> Can someone tell me why this is not implemented ?  Is it a philosophical
> question, or is it just low priority ?  Perhaps the patches just weren't
> good ones and nobody wants to redo them ?
>
> All comments appreciated.

On this topic, I recently updated my accounting patches
to apply to 4.2p1:
    http://caesious.beasts.org/~chris/tmp/20051220/openssh-4.2p1-server-accounting.patch

Many thanks to John Kozubik, who paid for this work.

I don't know if there's any chance of that making it into
the distribution; the patch is a little ugly, but I
couldn't see a more attractive way to write the thing.
Any comments?

--
``I can't find the [Latin] translation for `responsibility',
  which might explain a lot of Roman history....'' (Gareth Wilson)