xterm crashes consistently

Peter Gordon peter at pg-consultants.com
Tue Jan 11 17:58:13 EST 2005

I am running Fedora 3 on a Dell 600. The version of OpenSSH is
OpenSSH_3.9p1, OpenSSL 0.9.7a Feb 19 2003

I am connect to a Sparc Solaris 9
uname -a
SunOS mycomp 5.9 Generic_117171-07 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-250

I use ssh to get from Fedora to the Sparc

ssh -X root at mycomp
mycomp password:

And I am logged in.

For this example I run xterm, but it also fails with xemacs

Run xterm

The terminal comes up and I can work with it - without the mouse.
If I left click the mouse and highlight any text in the xterm,  I get a
fatal error and the xterm closes. The error is consistent and happens
every time.

xterm
xterm:  warning, error event received:
X Error of failed request:  BadAtom (invalid Atom parameter)
  Major opcode of failed request:  18 (X_ChangeProperty)
  Atom id in failed request:  0x185
  Serial number of failed request:  218

When I log in using telnet and doing the xhost thing, the window does
not crash. I am not sure if the bug is an ssh bug or an X bug, but I
hope you can help.

Thanks

Peter

--