Need OpenSSH to logs users bad login attempts

Michael Selvesteen selvesteen at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 21:23:29 EST 2005

 Hello All,

We have a sensitive network where users authenticates through SSH. We
support multiple authentications with respective to their groups . As
a security concern we continue to monitor failed or bad login attempts
of every user using lastb command, but SSH never logs the bad login
attempts of the user like telnet does .  We would like to have this
feature on SSH for every supported authentication including key based
authentication like public key and host based authentications. We have
a patch that logs bad login attempt through password based
authentication but we like to have for key based authentication also.
Kindly shed some light on this issue.

We are using OpenSSH 3.9 on HP-UX 11.11 and HP-UX 11.23 servers.

Advance thanks for all your help.

Michael