mindrot.org TMDA sending multiple auto-responder spams

J. Grant jg at jguk.org
Sun Jul 17 03:31:45 EST 2005

Hi,

It is a shame I feel obliged to write this email.

I sent a single email with a possible bug in it, asking if it was
working in a newer release.  I got 3 spam emails from mindrot.org.  Two
asking me to confirm, and then when I was forced to confirm I got
another auto-responder spam.  If I had wanted the 3rd spam I would have set
"return receipt".

I got this (below) auto-responder confirmation spam as well.  I confirmed
my email address purely so I could make the point that this approach is
a poor solution to spam prevention.  This approach treats symptom of
spam by wasting the time of email person with yet more spam, rather than
tackling the cause of the problem.

Is there a logical reason for this odd approach?

I posted about these sort of flawed approaches earlier this year:

"Auto-responder anti-spam solutions"
http://jguk.org/2005/blog_2005_06_01_auto_responder_anti_spam.html

I do not wish my email address to be listed on mindrot.org now I have
made this point, please remove it from the list of people who are excluded
from being spammed by default.  I will not reply to further emails unless
there is a clear indication that this fault has been corrected and when I
reply I will not be spammed again.

Kind regards
JG