mindrot.org TMDA sending multiple auto-responder spams

Damien Miller djm at mindrot.org
Sun Jul 17 10:50:53 EST 2005

The challenge-response is a one-time confirmation that is required of
people who do not subscribe to the mailing list.

It is intended to provide a simple way for people who want to report
bugs, etc. without becoming involved in general list discussions. The
alternative would be to force everyone who wants to send in reports to
subscribe first and then unsubscribe later, which is far more of an
impost than replying to a one-off challenge email.

You only need to authorise yourself once and they go away - you are not
rechallenged after you have been authorised (you received two challenges
because you sent two messages without responding.)

Please direct further discussion on this topic to me rather than the
list.

-d