Building Stand-Alone NT Installer. Need Advice on FileStructure. Thank you!

Victor B. Gonzalez openssh-unix-dev-mindrot at vbgunz.com
Mon Jun 13 16:51:12 EST 2005

--
Hello Corinna,

>There's no such thing as a Cygwin version 2.457.2.2.
I apologize. I was referring to the version of setup. I've built with
the DLL version 1.5.17-1 and made a final stand alone build on June,
06, 2005.

>There's no gain for the community in packaging up a package which contains
>a binary Cygwin DLL.  The only result is that somebody, who has already a
>Cygwin installation will get another DLL with likely another version in
>$PATH which results in serious trouble.  So this isn't something we want
>to see and support.

Sounds interesting. Would it be of interest to you if I put in logic
that will refuse to install itself IF any of the following returns
true?

> Registry entries for "Cygnus Solutions"
> Environment variable of "CYGWIN"

I will do this so no trouble can surface. The installer can read the
registry and environment so to take the proper action. If incase
you're curious about someone wishing to install Cygwin AFTER they
installed OpenSSH standalone, well I can perform that check on every
system startup. IF an installation of Cygwin is found I can disable
the stand alone version completely from paths and registry. Or
whatever you might wish to recommend.

>Even then, I hope you're also packaging up all the source code at the
>same spot you're providing binaries, otherwise you'll at least infringing
>the Cygwin license.

In a sense, I was hoping users would advise on which files are safe to
remove and which one's aren't. For example are all man files required
on NT? Should I include all .README's from Cygwin OR just the main
README's which pertain to the actual used applications? IF I must
include the source rather than linking to it I might need some help.
BUT I am willing to do anything to comply with any and all legalities.

I am only really hoping to lay-down the groundwork with notes of my
progress about building a standalone installation. I would really
appreciate if someone much smarter than I in regards to Cygwin and
OpenSSH actually take it further and make it more solid and secure. I
don't proclaim to be a professional BUT I do proclaim that I am
willing to at least try and get OpenSSH to stand as alone as possible.

While at the same time doing anything to comply...

>This is very off-topic for this list, AFAICS, especially when sent
>three times.

I apologize for this inconvenience and feel bad about it. Thanks to
"Bob Proulx" from the list I've discovered I've got a serious problem.
It seems the either the list, my mail server or my client is not in
agreement at some point. My first two messages returned errors stating
it was never posted "bad command" and my last message "the one you
replied to" never sent me the actual reply. I had to find it on the
following webpage
http://www.mindrot.org/pipermail/openssh-unix-dev/2005-June/thread.html
thanks again to "Bob Proulx".

If this list isn't made for discussions about furthering OpenSSH into
projects like "standalone installations" then where do I find such a
list? Also, what is this list for if not for development?

--
 Best regards,
 Victor B. Gonzalez

 OpenSSH-4.1p1-1
 Cygwin DLL 1.5.17-1
 Windows XP  5.1 Build  2600 Service Pack 2