New Set of High Performance Networking Patches Available

Chris Rapier rapier at psc.edu
Sat Jun 18 05:50:33 EST 2005

http://www.psc.edu/networking/projects/hpn-ssh/

Mike Stevens and I just released a new set of high performance
networking patches for OpenSSH 3.9p1, 4.0p1, and 4.1p1. These patches
will provide the same set of functionality across all 3 revisions. New
functionality includes

1) HPN performance even without both sides of the connection being HPN
enabled. As long as the bulk data flow is in the direction of the HPN
side you should see improved performance. I've measure 200Mb/s to an HPN
server from a non HPN client and vice versa.

2) HPN client can now set the local tcp receive buffer on a per
connection basis. Using the -w option allows the client to override the
local tcp receive window settings up to the maximum tcp buffer size.
This is just a setsockopt() call really.

3) NONE cipher switching now available for all revisions. This *is* a
separate set of patches so it doesn't have to be part of your HPN
install if you don't want the additional risk associated with NONE. It
is important to note that the NONE cipher is only used *after*
authentication takes place. During authentication the default or user
specified cipher will be used. It should not be very easy to accidental
switch over to NONE in an interactive session. Of course, the user has
to accept that there are additional risks.

We're seeing very good throughput - up to 280Mb/s with the arcfour
cipher. We're actually being limited by the disk speed in this case as
cpu load is still under 60% on our test machines.

You can find the patches here
http://www.psc.edu/networking/projects/hpn-ssh/

Note: All we are doing is allowing SSH to make better use of the network
available to it. People on networking paths with a bandwidth delay
product lower that 64KB won't see an improvement in throughput. You
should also make sure that the TCP stack on both sides are properly
tuned for high performance networking.

Comments, questions, observations, bug reports, and the like are
welcome. We'll have some more stuff out in the next month or so
hopefully (not patches).

Chris Rapier, PSC
Mike Stevens, CMU