forwarding data ?

Peter Stuge stuge-openssh-unix-dev at cdy.org
Sun Mar 27 02:40:50 EST 2005

On Sat, Mar 26, 2005 at 04:06:37PM +0100, Ed White wrote:
> ssh binds on "localhost:60110" and when a local application connect
> to that port, all the data are forwarded to the "server". The
> particular fact is that I can't use port forwarding because I don't
> have any pop3 daemon on the "server". In fact I'm using a pop3
> script as user's shell!
>
> When I try by hand everything is ok, but it seems I cannot use ssh
> to bind a port and simply forward the data. Is this a known OpenSSH
> limitation ?

I guess you could say that, but I would rather say that you're trying
to use a tool for a task that it wasn't designed to perform.

You could try running faucet[1] with the script on the server to turn
it into a TCP service and then use regular port forwarding to reach
it.

//Peter

[1] http://web.purplefrog.com/~thoth/netpipes/netpipes.html