forwarding stdin/out to remote socket

Lucio Crusca lucio at sulweb.org
Mon May 2 23:18:16 EST 2005

Igor Bukanov wrote:
> Although convenient the setup has its problems. First, it exposes the
> remote vnc port for everybody on the localhost for the duration of
> some_delay. Second it can cause connection at step 3 to fail if it
> would take a long time for ssh to setup the forwarding.
>
> Now all this can be avoided if vnc would simply use stdin/out from ssh

I believe you are working around a lack of feature in sshd: sshd should be
able to choose a free port and forward that port, but, as for now, it isn't.

I've been working on a patch against 4.0p1 for a while (see thread
http://www.mindrot.org/pipermail/openssh-unix-dev/2005-March/022829.html and
relative follow-ups) that would implement said feature, but it has been
rightly rejected.

Now I have to find the time to fix the bugs and recode the patch against
latest CVS or against 4.1. I plan to work on it and have it approved within
the end of june, but don't rely too much on that.

Lucio.