Password Option for Windows OpenSSH

Chris Rapier rapier at psc.edu
Tue Nov 29 06:23:17 EST 2005

KRISHNAMURTHY SUDHAKAR-FSK031 wrote:
> I am newbie to OpenSSH and have a question on providing password during a
> client log in session.
> I am using OpenSSH for Windows(XP) version 3.81p1. Is this the latest
> version for windows?

The OpenSSH for Windows listed in the OpenSSH website isn't actually
being maintained anymore. The current releases are actually now
incorporated into CopSSH - which is a pretty good distribution for windows.

>>From the archive list I gather that OpenSSH will not provide a password
> option while invoking ssh commands, is this true? or will this be included
> in the future releases?
>
> I read something about using SSH_ASKPASS option to provide the password from
> a text file. I didn't find this documented anywhere in the list of docs that
> I obtained while installing 3.81p1, Is this valid for openssh windows ver
> 3.81p1? or is this just a UNIX/Linux only command?
>
> I would appreciate if anyone could tell me if there is a work around for
> this?

You'd actually be a lot better off setting this up using public keys.
That way you aren't storing passwords anywhere.