openSSH 4.3 p2 rpm help please!

Mike Zupan hijinks at gmail.com
Thu Apr 13 03:22:16 EST 2006

yes that version of 3.9 is fully patched against all bugs and security
issues.. the only thing they don't back port is functionality.. so if
there is a reason you need 4.3 for a certain function or option that
is not in 3.9.. you are SAFE running that version

On 4/12/06, Doug Lochart <dlochart at gmail.com> wrote:
> >remember RH/centos does backpatching.. so while you are running an
> >older version as long as the main version of centos is being supported
> >(which 4 still is) you are ok.
>
> > http://www.redhat.com/advice/speaks_backport.html
>
> I found that informative but I am still stuck on what to do.  How do I
> get these security fixes to make my 3.9 equal to 4.3 ???  I am
> expecting yum or rpm to tell me if there is an update.  Since there is
> no update available should I be assume that the fixes in 4.3 are
> backported to my 3.9??
>
> Sorry to sound like a dunce but rp etc is totally new to me.  I always
> use slackware and do everything from source.
>
> Doug
>

> On 4/12/06, Doug Lochart <dlochart at gmail.com> wrote:
> > All,
> >
> > I have a CentOS 4 system I need to update OpenSSH on.  Most of my
> > experience has been on slackware and I am new to using yum and
> > packages.  I ran yum and it tells me that my current installed version
> > is 3.9 patch level 1.  It also said that there are no updates for it.
> > I did a google for it but every link I saw that seemed to point to
> > info about an rpm for 4.3 came up not found.
> >
> > Is there a better yum repository for finding these packages or will I
> > have to build my own?  If so How do I do that?
> >
> > Also if I upgrade will I break any other app that might be built with
> > the older version?  Is there a yum / rpm option that tells me what
> > other packages/binaries are dependent on the installed version of
> > openssh
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Doug
> >

> > --
> > What profits a man if he gains the whole world yet loses his soul?
>
> --
> What profits a man if he gains the whole world yet loses his soul?

http://www.zcentric.com/wiki
My Linux Howto/Tips Wiki