openssh 4.3 on IRIX 5.3

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Mon Apr 17 11:13:46 EST 2006

Georg Schwarz wrote:
> Dear developers,
>
> OpenSSH 4.3 (both p1 and p2) has a number of issues on IRIX 5.3 which
> were not present with 4.2p1:
>
> configure thinks that a number of header files are unusable. This is
> because in order to use them other headers such as sys/types.h must
> be included as well, and configure's test code does not do so.
>
> checking ia.h usability... no
> checking ia.h presence... yes
> configure: WARNING: ia.h: present but cannot be compiled
[...]

Many of these have been fixed after the 4.3p2 release.  Could you please
try the latest snapshot and let us know if any still occur?

ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/OpenSSH/portable/snapshot/

> lorenz 149% ./ssh -v kobe
> OpenSSH_4.3p1, OpenSSL 0.9.7i 14 Oct 2005
> ssh: kobe: no address associated with name
[...]
> There seems to be a problem with DNS resolution with 4.3p1 and p2.
> Do you have any idea what is going wrong? Can you suggest what I
> should test or look for?
> Is there a means to try step by step the changes included from 4.2p1
> to 4.3p1? Thanks.

A couple of things to try:

1) manually move "-lresolv" to the end of the LIBS in Makefile.  At
least one other system (Reliant Unix) exhibits a similar problem and
this is the workaround.

2) Define BROKEN_GETADDRINFO in config.h (if it's not already).

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.