ssh 4.x using aix 5.3 auditing

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Thu Dec 7 19:27:13 EST 2006

Ryan Robertson wrote:
> Im trying to identify how ssh 4.5 interacts with the audit subsystem
> within AIX 5.3.  i get an event when a user logs in, but not when
> they exit via ssh.  i can get it to work with telnet, however.  It
> would seem to me that if an event is captured from the login, that
> the same would be true for the logout.  I've opened a PMR w/IBM, but
> not getting very much help.

There's no code in sshd to specifically support the audit interface on
AIX, so I suspect that the records you see are generated by the
"loginsuccess" call which sshd makes.

The API docs[1] make no mention of a corresponding logout function
(although now I see that the audit redbook[2] makes mention of one but I
can't find any information about it).

[1]
http://publib16.boulder.ibm.com/doc_link/en_US/a_doc_lib/aixprggd/genprogc/ls_sec_audit_subrs.htm
[2] http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/pdfs/sg246020.pdf