scp/sftp weirdness

Chris Rapier rapier at psc.edu
Sat Jul 8 03:16:12 EST 2006

Erich Weiler wrote:
> Hi Damien,
>
> Respectfully, I understand what you are saying but I'm not seeing it in
> practice.  I put the path to all the new SSH binaries in the very front
> of my PATH as such:

Right, the paths might be setup however you like but if I remember
correctly the binary has the preferred path to the binary built into it.

If you do a 'strings scp | grep \/' you'll end up seeing the the default
path to the binary.

For example, mine reports
cuckoo:~/ssh/hpn12/openssh-4.3p2 rapier$ strings scp | grep \/
/usr/local/bin/ssh
%s/%s: name too long
%s/%s
/dev/null
Couldn't open /dev/null: %s

So by default its looking in /usr/local/bin/ssh and even if I have ./ in
my path it doesn't matter because it will look in /usr/local/bin/ for
the binary.

What you can do to test things out is override the default using the '-S
/explicit/path/to/ssh/binary' command.

Good luck!