scp/sftp weirdness

Erich Weiler weiler at soe.ucsc.edu
Sat Jul 8 04:44:08 EST 2006

> Right, the paths might be setup however you like but if I remember
> correctly the binary has the preferred path to the binary built into it.
>
> If you do a 'strings scp | grep \/' you'll end up seeing the the default
> path to the binary.

Actually I have one more quick question.  ;)  While ssh now works with
passwords, I have a problem with using public keys.  When I try to log
into another box using public keys I get this:

ghost% ssh hammer
could not open any host key
ssh_msg_send: write
ssh_keysign: couldn't send request
ghost%

If I set the setuid bit on the 'ssh' binary it works.  But I don't want
to set the setuid bit on the 'ssh' binary for security reasons as it is
owned by root.  This seemed to work fine with an older version of
OpenSSH...  Any idea as to what I may be doing wrong?

ciao, erich