scp back to *me* (Wish report)

William Ahern william at 25thandClement.com
Sat Jul 8 06:28:08 EST 2006

On Fri, Jul 07, 2006 at 10:48:38PM +0300, Ahmed Kamal wrote:
> Wish report:
> =========
> When I ssh from 'laptop' to 'server', and I see a file I want to scp back to
> my laptop. The typical way for almost everyone (unless I am totally
> mistaken) is to:
> scp file user at laptop
> and enter his password for the laptop. This is per transferred file!
> Unfortunately, this is too cumbersome! I was thinking of a FTP like 'get'
> functionality, so basically on the server, if you scp a file and don't
> specify a destination, it is automatically copied back to *me* in the
> current folder. So, to copy a file over scp, I would
> scp file

You have two options. Most will point out sftp. But, if you're using a
decent terminal emulator Google for zmodem. minicom is the only emulator I
know of which would support this on the backend, but most Windows emulators
do as well, I think. Using zmodem (or xmodem or ymodem or kermit, even) will
allow you full shell access, and then allow you to send a file backward
across the same connection.