ssh without encryption

Chris Rapier rapier at psc.edu
Fri Jul 21 00:42:58 EST 2006

> Greetings,
>
> I'm using the openssh server inside a simulator and it is very slow to
> login and use. I would like, then, to disable encryption between the
> machine that hosts the simulator and the simulator itself. Unfortunaly, I
> didn't found a way to do that.
> Could you, please, tell how can I do that? Or, if that's not possible, how
> can I reduce ssh encrypted connection overhead, so it actually becomes
> usable on the simulator?
>
> Thanks for your help!

Are you sure its an encryption issue? For the most part encryption,
especially in interactive sessions, has minimal impact on the user
experience. Do you think you could verify how much of an additional load
this is placing on the CPU? Also, could you tell us if its an
interactive or bulk data session?

Now, if you want to just try *something* you should make sure you are
using a lightweight cipher like RC4 by using -c arcfour in the command
line. If you do see an improvement over the default 3DES (that is still
the default isn't it? As an aside does this still make sense?) then it
might be a CPU bounding issue.

You say you are using a simulator - do you know what the simulated RTT
is like? I'm thinking that could be a much more likely source of
performance issues that the encryption.

Chris