The conclusion regarding resume patch

Chris Rapier rapier at psc.edu
Sat May 13 03:47:24 EST 2006

William Ahern wrote:
> On Fri, May 12, 2006 at 11:13:11AM -0400, Chris Rapier wrote:
>> Of course to replace scp you'll need to copy most if not all of the
>> command line structure syntax or its going to break thousands of
>> scripts. I've actually talked to a couple of hundred users (people I met
>> at various academic and industry high performance computing conferences)
>> about this issue. A good percentage don't even know about sftp (no, they
>> aren't idiots) and those that do want the simplicity of the scp
>
> For some definitions of "idiot". ;)

Well, most of them hold at least one PhD in things like physics,
chemistry, molecular biology, and the like. They are comfortable with
computers but they are tool users and not computer people if you know
what I mean.

> I think at this point it sounds like there's been a meeting of minds. An
> sftp which has been taught to emulate scp, or which has been gifted with
> sufficient capabilites where emulation can be accomplished easily threw a
> script, for instance.

Ya know, an advanced enough script could actually do all of that. Take
the command line parameters and build a script to be fed into sftp. Of
course, that would just be a whole different world of problems. I'm also
loathe to make assumptions about what users may or may not have
installed now or in the future (it would also be a limiting feature if
it depended on perl or even sh in as far as portability to non unix
system goes).

> I can't wait to see the code.

Me too ;)

Maybe I should go hire another student...

Chris