detachable ssh sessions / ssh terminal server

Enrico Weigelt weigelt at metux.de
Sat May 20 01:02:06 EST 2006

Hi folks,

is there an solution for an detachable ssh (like an terminal
server, but for text console) ?

I imagine something like what screen(1) does, but integrated
into ssh:

+ if an connection breaks down, the session (an all processes)
  remain running an can be re-attached.
+ all active sessions can be queried
+ the output of sessions can be logged and retrieved later
+ xterm window title settings are recorded and shown on query
+ additional monitors (ie. via external programs) can be
  set up to do something on certain events, ie. notify the
  user if an detached session gets back to the shell

If such an solution doesn't exist already, could anyone please
give me some hints, how to implement this ?
(probably could be done as an subsystem ?)

thx
 Enrico Weigelt    ==   metux IT service

  fax:       +49 36207 519932         email:     contact at metux.de
  cellphone: +49 174 7066481