sshd startup error on SCO SR6

philip at yarra.no-ip.org philip at yarra.no-ip.org
Thu Nov 23 09:47:52 EST 2006

Roger Cornelius <rac at tenzing.org> wrote:

> Openssh 4.4p1 and 4.5p1
> SCO Openserver 6 w/mp1, mp2
>
> While installing v4.5p1, I noticed this sshd syslog error which began
> appearing when I upgraded from v4.3p2 to v4.4p1:
>
>   Sep  1 17:54:41 tenzing sshd[12837]: error: Bind to port 22 on :: failed: \
>   Network is unreachable.
>
> sshd -d reports:
>
>   debug1: Bind to port 22 on ::.
>   Bind to port 22 on :: failed: Network is unreachable.
>   debug1: Bind to port 22 on 0.0.0.0.
>   Server listening on 0.0.0.0 port 22.
>
> This comes from server_listen() in sshd.c (introduced in v4.4p1) and is
> apparently due to getnameinfo() not returning a valid numeric host
> address.
>
> Should I be concerned?  sshd seems to be functioning OK.
>
> FTR, this problem does not occur on SCO Openserver 5.0.7.
>
> Feature request: Could the sshd version number be added to its startup
> syslog message?
> --
> Roger Cornelius        rac at tenzing.org
Roger, that looks like you're getting errors trying to bind to all IPv6 addresses (::) and none when you try to bind to
all IPv4 addresses(0.0.0.0). Perhaps you don't have any IPv6 addresses configured? I'm pretty sure that the defaults
these days are to try to bind to IPv6 addresses. Try adding "ListenAddress 0.0.0.0" to sshd_config and start sshd again.

Regards, Philip.