sshd startup error on SCO SR6

Roger Cornelius rac at tenzing.org
Thu Nov 23 03:44:44 EST 2006

Openssh 4.4p1 and 4.5p1
SCO Openserver 6 w/mp1, mp2

While installing v4.5p1, I noticed this sshd syslog error which began
appearing when I upgraded from v4.3p2 to v4.4p1:

  Sep  1 17:54:41 tenzing sshd[12837]: error: Bind to port 22 on :: failed: \
  Network is unreachable.

sshd -d reports:

  debug1: Bind to port 22 on ::.
  Bind to port 22 on :: failed: Network is unreachable.
  debug1: Bind to port 22 on 0.0.0.0.
  Server listening on 0.0.0.0 port 22.

This comes from server_listen() in sshd.c (introduced in v4.4p1) and is
apparently due to getnameinfo() not returning a valid numeric host
address.

Should I be concerned?  sshd seems to be functioning OK.

FTR, this problem does not occur on SCO Openserver 5.0.7.

Feature request: Could the sshd version number be added to its startup
syslog message?
Roger Cornelius        rac at tenzing.org