Testing for the 4.4p1 release

Iain Morgan imorgan at nas.nasa.gov
Wed Sep 6 02:54:16 EST 2006

Sometime ago, Darren Tucker wrote:
> Hi, and thanks for testing.
[...]
> >    5   Macro "offsetof" (declared at line 491 of "defines.h") has an
> > incompatible
> >    1   Macro "offsetof" (declared at line 491 of "../defines.h") has an
> > incompatible
>
> Which system header defines that?

It's defined by <stddef.h> including <internal/stddef_core.h>.

> > Also, moving -lgen from LIBS to SSHDLIBS would eliminate 10 additional
> > warnings.
>
> If it's not a critical problem I'd prefer to wait until after the
> release to do any library reshuffles, but there is definitely some room
> for improvement.

That's fine by me.

> > I haven't had time to deal with the regression tests yet. The protocol 1
> > tests always seem to be a problem with IRIX. (I reported this once quite
> > a while ago, but did not have the time to investigate.) In the past,
> > I've hacked the scripts to only test protocol 2, in which case
> > everything (that we care about) is fine.
>
> The only time I've ever seen protocol 1 specifically fail regress tests
> is on Solaris 10 with the bundled OpenSSL, and that's because any crypto
> with a key length >128bit had been crippled including the blowfish
> cipher that protocol 1 uses.  (It also included the AES functions, but
> OpenSSH has its own implementation of those and now uses them if it
> finds the native ones don't work.)

Yeah, the problem I see is that the fingerprint of the server key never
seems to match, so it appears to be a man-in-the-middle situation. At
first glance, it's as if a previous instance of the daemon were running,
but other than the failure there's no evidence that that is actually
what's going on.

> When I'm trying to debug regress tests (which, I'll admit, isn't easy) I
> do something like the attached patch, which stops immediately after the
> failure without cleaning up.  I then rerun the failing command with
> extra debugging (usually ssh -vvv [lots of args]) which can help shed
> some light on the failure.

Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try, but it's probably going to be a
while before I can make time to do a real job of it.

--
Iain Morgan